Friday, November 30, 2012

Soulpancake's Art Attack Series!

In mid-October, I had the good fortune of collaborating with the wonderful team over at SoulPancake in LA. Originally founded by Rainn Wilson (you might know him as Dwight Schrute from The Office), SoulPancake is a media company dedicated to blurring the lines among art, spirituality, philosophy, and creativity.

Aside from their incredible website, fabulous book, and recent mini-series with Oprah (what!?), these guys somehow find the time to dive into artist's studios and document the process of making artwork, start to finish.

We shot over a two day period, allowing the paint to dry (sort of) overnight. The theme I chose was "memory", and the image I painted from was a picture of my dad's vacation home in Iran.


I talk about the significance of the image and share some thoughts on memory in the interview here:



And in case you've ever wanted to see me make a painting really really fast, here's your chance:



A huge thanks to all the fabulous minds and generous spirits at SoulPancake. I feel so lucky to be a part of this awesome series.

Watch the other artists who've participated here!

22 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I loved watching you in action. And hearing your voice! You are so passionate about what you do and you seem so sweet! Good for you Kimia. Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow !! awesome, and really endearing the whole process and the subject you have chosen as well Kimia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so awesome! i actually teach the iranian revolution and would love to show this video to my high school students. we approach it from such a historical perspective that it would be great for them to hear the last affects of this event.

    your painting is beautiful as well!

    ~p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing, I had no idea! You should absolutely share it. And I made a short documentary called "under the staircase" which is a more in depth view of the revolution and how it affected my family. Here's the link: http://vimeo.com/9012015

      Delete
  4. I was MESMERIZED watching this (both videos). Such a talent you are, and exactly how I pictured you "live."

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is AMAZING. your painting is beautiful and so are your words - and so are YOU! loved this. thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very beautiful! The story and the painting...what an amazing way to pay tribute to your history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was SO fascinating & entertaining - beautiful painting. Like Kayla, I was mesmerized! You are lovely on camera : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful and I felt your emotions as you spoke and as you painted. It was so special to hear about the process and watch you paint~ you are so talented! Lovely way to start my day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Soul Pancake and Super Soul Sunday! That is so cool Kimia, congrats!!!
    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool... I love the painting and the significance it has for you! I have many Persian friends in LA that have a similar story. Congrats on the piece!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow wow wow - that clip of you painting is incredible! congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is such an awesome clip, you def deserve to be highlighted for your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you eloquently expressed how art often reflect memories, even if its not directly our own. I was able for the first time visit my parents home country 2 years ago, yet I couldn't necessarily relate to their childhood and even adult experience in a country torn apart by civil war. Thanks for showing us a glimpse into your artistic process.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm commenting on this months later, but I couldn't resist. I love your work and seeing your process is simply amazing. You have a gift, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved hearing you talk about your art. You look gorgeous and so is your work! I love hearing about the inspiration behind people's art, really amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. :)