Saturday, November 3, 2012

Sandy.

Early this week, the worst hurricane in New York's history landed on our shores. Sandy brought the entire City and surrounding areas to a grinding halt. With 90 mph winds, houses, businesses, restaurants, and art galleries were destroyed overnight. We count ourselves as the very lucky ones, only having lost heat/power for six days. Many still have no heat, and many more have lost homes, loved ones, and businesses.

Photo by Sam Horine
 
Photo by Sam Horine
 
Photo by Sam Horine


The darkened Manhattan skyline still shocks me every time I see pictures of it. Walking the streets at night felt completely post-apocalyptic. After the second night, streets were lined with cops and flares making sure pedestrians didn't get hit by oncoming traffic. 
 
Photo by Sam Horine


Businesses with generators opened their doors to everyone, allowing us to stop in and use their power strips for cell phone/computer charging. Restaurants without power stayed open as well, lighting tables with candles and cooking over open fires. It was amazing to see New York's determination to preserve some semblance of its nightlife and keep spirits high.


The gas situation is still unfortunately not resolved, with subways still down and gas stations completely empty, getting around Manhattan has been a challenge. Yesterday I tried to get to my studio in Williamsburg and was quoted a $120 cab fare for the 3 mile trip. Needless to say, most of us have taken to walking or biking until the Subways are drained and dried.

Photo by Steph Goralnick

Photo by Steph Goralnick

Photo by Steph Goralnick

A special thanks to all you dear readers who sent emails, tweets, Instragram messages, and notes checking on us. For now, I can't help but feel pride about the amazing people that make up this great City. Volunteers, cops, and construction workers have been working around the clock for the past 4 days, on no sleep, trying to get things back up and running. People are chattier than ever, smiling when they walk and striking up conversation easily with strangers. It's sweet to see, and reminds me of how New Yorkers really are some of the kindest people I've ever lived amongst.

Our love and prayers are with those who will go without heat tonight, who have lost loved ones, and whose homes have vanished. For information on how to donate and/or volunteer, here's a great website. Cheers friends.

26 comments:

  1. Kimia I am thinking of you. I hope that you are both OK. xo Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my goodness. I can't imagine seeing your own city so... sick. Ill. Not the same. These images are shocking. Love and prayers to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these images capture the scariness of the storm well i think. My heart goes out to you and all the people impacted by it....

    -liv
    http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had a lump in my throat as i read this. so glad you're okay. so many people i love up there, i wish there was more i could do to help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for checking in on us! we live in greenwich, so we were also without power and some houses (mansions) even burned down to the foundation. the majority of the city is still without power but the biggest issue has been the lines at the gas stations. we are getting a lot of ny'ers who can't get gas in the city. it is chaotic.

    fortunately, everything is fine with us. it is the little things that really matter, right?

    ~p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that you are okay. Thank you for sharing the pictures. It is good to hear that people are treating each other kindly and generously under the challenging situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you're okay! Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

    I worked in New Orleans right after Hurricane Katrina, clearing out houses and helping hand out supplies, and I remember walking through downtown, streets completely dark and empty, windows broken, stores looted, and thinking it was the strangest thing I'd ever seen. And houses were in the middle of the streets. So devastating. Thinking of all of you back east affected by this disaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, what a life changing experience that must have been. its amazing how quickly our cities can topple down and vanish.

      Delete
  8. so glad you're okay, kimia! thanks for your sweet note today. i was safe and sound in williamsburg - feeling very lucky about that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. thanks for sharing - glad you're safe and sound. It is just crazy to see and hear about everything happening there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you are okay! I can't wait to see NYC, my beloved home of Hoboken & other affected areas return better & stronger than ever. Be well & stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you're okay and that you got your power/heat back! Thanks for sharing this crazy experience!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you're safe and sound. It's still unimaginable to me what's happened and what the future holds. It's heartbreaking, yet uplifting to hear the stories of neighbors helping neighbors and strangers helping strangers. I was supposed to be in NYC this week but the trip was postponed until possibly next week. If it happens, and we're able to get around, I'd love to meet up with you for coffee or cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashleigh! Would love that! Will send you an email.

      Delete
  13. This is such a moving post about your experience. I was talking to my mom last night, and both agreed that the images of the NY and NJ skyline without power were some of the most haunting we'd seen in a long time. So glad you guys are safe and I'm hoping that normalcy comes sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm happy to hear from you. I'm glad you and your hubs are doing well. That taxi fare increase is so wrong. In D.C. taxi drivers are regulated and they were only allowed to charge an extra $15.00 during Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NYC cabbies are completely ridiculous. Fortunately things are getting back to normal now. I'm just waiting for the subways to open up so I can be done with the cabs.

      Delete
  15. So glad you weren't too affected and life is slowly resuming back to normal. I'm also hoping those that were not so fortunate recover real soon. All my best, xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know you we're in NY!!! I've been through hurricanes and I know that terrible feeling of desolation when you see so much destruction... Hope everything goes back to normal soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What extraordinary images, and such devastation - utterly heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. my sister in law lives there and was here visiting when sandy happened....it was crazy listening to her updates about everything going on. i hope nyc recovers quickly. a city i lived in was flooded very badly and it was a long recovery so i can understand the efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope that you are doing well Kimia, and that you have power and are getting back to normal. It's just unbelievable what happened, sending you many good thoughts and prayers!
    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, so happy to hear you're safe! Hope things are slowly turning back to normal. I love NYC. <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad to see you guys fared ok ... tough few weeks for sure. We live in North NJ and went 2 weeks without power but at least we did not have any damage to our house. We got lucky. Our NJ shore will never be the same. So sad. Great pictures from the City by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i can't imagine that kind of damage,glad to hear you are OK. thank you for sharing the photos and info. seems like there wasn't enough coverage on this!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. :)